$课文41 你把那个叫帽子吗?less
422. 'Do you call that a hat?' I said to my wife.ide
“你把那个叫帽子吗?”我对妻子说。rest
423. 'You needn't be so rude about it,' my wife answered as she looked at herself in the mirror.three
“你说话不必这样不客气,”个人妻子边回答边照着镜子。ip
424. I sat down on one of those modern chairs with holes in it and waited.rem
我坐在一个新式的尽是网眼儿的椅子上,等待着。get
425. We had been in the hat shop for half an hour and my wife was still in front of the mirror.it
咱们在这家帽店已经呆了半个小时了,而个人妻子仍在镜子面前。pip
426. 'We mustn't buy things we don't need,' I remarked suddenly. I regretted saying it almost at once.io
“咱们不该该买咱们不须要的东西,”我忽然发表意见说,但立刻又后悔说了这话。
427. 'You needn't have said that,' my wife answered.
“你不必这么说,”我妻子回答说,“
428. I needn't remind you of that terrible tie you bought yesterday.
我也没必要提醒你昨天买的那条糟糕透了的领带。”
429. 'I find it beautiful,' I said. 'A man can never have too many ties.'
“我以为它好看,”我说,“男人有多少领带也不会嫌多。”
430. 'And a woman can't have too many hats,' she answered.
“女人有多少帽子也不嫌多。”她回答。
431. Ten minutes later we walked out of the shop together.
10分钟之后,咱们一道走出了商店。
432. My wife was wearing a hat that looked like a lighthouse!
我妻子戴着一顶像灯塔同样的帽子。
$课文42 并不是很懂音乐
433. As we had had a long walk through one of the markets of old Delhi, we stopped at a square to have a rest.
当咱们穿过旧德里的市场时走了很长一段路,咱们在一个广场上停下来休息。
434. After a time, we noticed a snake charmer with two large baskets at the other side of the square, so we went to have a look at him.
过了一下子,咱们注意到广场的那一边有一个带着两个大筐的耍蛇人,因而就走过去看看。
435. As soon as he saw us, he picked up a long pipe which was covered with coins and opened one of the baskets.
他一见咱们,就拿起了一个长长的上面镶有硬币的管乐器,并掀开了一个筐的盖子。
436. When he began to play a tune, we had our first glimpse of the snake.
当他开始吹奏一支曲子时,咱们才第一次看到那条蛇。
437. It rose out of the basket and began to follow the movements of the pipe.
它从筐里探出身子,随着乐器的摆动而扭动。
438. We were very much surprised when the snake charmer suddenly began to play jazz and modern pop songs.
当耍蛇人忽然又吹奏起爵士乐和现代流行乐曲时,
439. The snake, however, continued to 'dance' slowly.
咱们感到很是惊奇。然而那蛇却仍是缓慢地“舞动”着。
440. It obviously could not tell the difference between Indian music and jazz!
显然,它分辨不出印度音乐和爵士乐!
$课文43 飞越南极
441. In 1929, three years after his flight over the North Pole, the American explorer, R.E. Byrd,successfully flew over the South Pole for the first time.
美国探险家 R.E. 伯德在飞越北极3年以后,于1929年第一次飞越了南极。
442. Though, at first, Byrd and his men were able to take a great many photographs of the mountains that lay below,
虽然开始时伯德和他的助手们拍下了飞机下面连绵群山的大量照片,
443. they soon ran into serious trouble.
但他们很快就陷入了困境。
444. At one point, it seemed certain that their plane would crash.
在有个地方,飞机彷佛确定要坠毁了。
445. It could only get over the mountains if it rose to 10,000 feet.
只有在飞至10,000英尺的高度时,它才能飞过这些山头。
446. Byrd at once ordered his men to throw out two heavy food sacks.
伯德立刻命令他的助手们把两个沉重的食物袋扔掉,
447. The plane was then able to rise and it cleared the mountains by 400 feet.
因而飞机能够上升了,它在离山头400英尺的高度飞越了过去。
448. Byrd now knew that he would be able to reach the South Pole which was 300 miles away,
伯德这时知道他可以顺利飞抵300英里之外的南极了,
449. for there were no more mountains in sight.
由于前面再没有山了。
450. The aircraft was able to fly over the endless white plains without difficulty.
飞机能够毫无困难地飞过这片茫茫无际的白色原野!